What is LASIK?
- Full form of LASIK is Laser-assisted in-situ Keratomileusis.
- Excimer Laser is a unique type of “cold” Laser that does not burn or cut the tissue.
- It involves the reshaping of the corneal curvature to give you good sight without the aid of any glasses or contact lenses.
Is LASIK a safe prodedure?
- LASIK has involved into a very safe procedure over the years.
- This procedure was recognized by the FDA (Federal drug association of America) in September 1998.
- There are minimal side effects of this procedure.
- Over 17 years of age.
- Your number should be stable for at least one year.
- You should not be pregnant.
- You should be off your contact lenses a few days (3 days to 3 weeks, depending upon the type of contact lenses) before the laser.
- Your cornea should be of adequate thickness as assessed by your doctor.
- Each patient goes through a comprehensive series of tests and eye examination which includes:
- Glass Number Check up
- Corneal Topography
- Corneal Keratometry
- Abberometry and Wave front analysis
- One drop of anaesthetic is put in the eye before the procedure. No injection is required as it is a painless procedure.
- The patient lies under the laser machine and we create a flap of clear tissue on the front surface of the cornea.
- Then, the Excimer laser removes the selected tissue and the corneal flap is replaced over the eye.
- No stitches or bandages are applied and the patient walks out of the laser room in about 10 minutes time.
Post Operative Course and Precautions after the Laser
- Do not rub the eye or splash water into the eyes for one to two weeks.
- Avoid eye make up for the first two weeks.
- The vision may be blurred for the first few hours after the Laser and improves dramatically thereafter.
- Few patients may have slight irritation and discomfort for the first 2-3 hours after the Laser, which can be relieved with the help of medicines and proper rest.
- Next morning itself you are like a normal person and attain good vision without glasses.
- Recovery of final vision may take about a weeks time.
- Clear vision without the hassles of glasses and contact lenses.
- No pain, no injections.
- Visual recovery miraculously quick.
- You may consider certain career opportunities (e.g. Air Force, Merchant Navy, Pilots, Air Hostesses, Sportsmen) which otherwise would not have been possible.
- If you are intolerable to contact lenses, then laser is the answer.
- Wider scope of vision than what your glasses provide.
- Increased sensitivity to light or glare for the first few days.
- Grittiness or burning sensation which usually disappears in 3-4 days time.
- Slightly dry eyes which are taken care of using lubricating drops.
- Serious complications are fortunately very rare and are usually treatable with medications or further surgery.
- Our centre boasts of one of the best Excimer Laser machines- the FDA approved NIDEK Laser which ablates the tissue minimally BLADE FREE FEMTO LASIK BY ZIEMER LDV.
- ” First centre to start with LASIK Laser in the region.
- Wavefront technology to diagnose & locat higher order alternations.
- E- LASIK procedures in thin corneas or corneas too flat for LASIK.
- Most experienced surgeon doing LASIK for over 17-18 years.
- Thousands of highly satisfied patients over the years.
- A team of highly qualified staff for post operative follow up and for meticulous screening protocol.
- It is a new standard for Laser vision correction in which “Eagle’s Eye Vision” or a precise level of correction is attained.
- It takes care of the personal aberrations of the eye and corrects the unique imperfections of each individual’s vision.
- Provides better vision than is possible with glasses or contact lenses.
Will my numbers be fully corrected after Laser?
Yes, if your corneal thickness is adequate, you should be able to get rid of your glasses completely. But certain patients may get a small residual number back for which usually no glass is required.
Can I wear glasses or contact lenses after Laser if required?
Most Patients think that after the LASIK you cannot go back to your glasses or lenses if required, but it is not so, and you can use lenses or glasses after the laser also.
Are the results of LASIK permanent?
Yes, the correction of vision done by LASIK is permanent. However, LASIK has no effect on the natural progression of your numbers, hence it is only done if your numbers are stable.
Will I experience pain during LASIK?
No, LASIK is essentially a painless procedure
Are both eyes treated in the same sitting?
Yes, usually both the eyes are done in the same sitting. This saves a lot of time for the patient and the doctor. But if you are an apprehensive patient and want to get one eye done at a time, it can be done.
Can I get my numbers back even after the LASIK?
Usually, LASIK is a permanent procedure and unless your numbers are not stable, you will not get your numbers back.
Can LASIK be done in older people?
There is no upper age limit for which LASIK can be done. If there are no other contra indications in the eye of doing LASIK, then it can be done at any age. But after the age of 40-45 years, you will require reading glasses even after the laser. Only your distant glasses will be removed.